When is a Mechanical Permit Required?
A mechanical permit is required when any mechanical system is installed, altered, repaired, replaced or remodeled unless specifically exempted by the California Mechanical Code or by County Ordinance.
EXEMPT FROM MECHANICAL PERMITS:
2. Portable Equipment:
- Replacement of any component part of assembly of an appliance which does not alter its original approval and complies with other applicable requirements of the Uniform Mechanical Code.
3. Refrigeration Equipment:
- A portable heating appliance, portable ventilating equipment, portable cooling unit or portable evaporative cooler.
4. Closed Systems:
- Refrigerating equipment which is part of the equipment for which a permit has been issued.
- A unit refrigeration system.
- A closed system of steam, hot chilled water piping within heating or cooling equipment.