Planning Department Banner, This link takes you back to home page

Tiny Homes

The County is considering adding regulations to allow “tiny homes” as primary dwellings and as accessory dwelling units (ADUs).

What is a tiny home?

Tiny homes are small dwellings, generally less than 400 square feet, either on foundations or on wheels. Tiny homes on foundations are already allowed in Santa Cruz County and are subject to the building and zoning codes. Tiny homes on wheels are considered recreational vehicles or trailers and are not currently allowed as housing in Santa Cruz County except within designated RV parks or as temporary housing.

Tiny homes have the potential to provide a small, flexible, and relatively low cost housing option for residents in Santa Cruz County. However, there are many things to consider in developing regulations for tiny homes, such as: 

  • Are tiny homes appropriate in all areas of Santa Cruz County? 
  • Where should tiny homes be located on a property?
  • What development standards should be required for tiny homes? 
  • What kind of permits are appropriate? 
  • What utility hook ups should be required?
  • When are tiny homes "real property" vs. "personal property," and what are the implications of that?

Join the Conversation!

There is an upcoming opportunity for you to participate in the process:

The Board of Supervisors will consider proposed Santa Cruz County tiny home regulations at their meeting on Tuesday, September 20, 2022. At this meeting, staff will present a proposed ordinance. The Board of Supervisors will hold a public hearing and consider adopting the proposed ordinance. Members of the public are welcome to attend the Board of Supervisors meeting and make oral comments.

Board of Supervisors Meeting Information: Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 9:00 AM Item 8
The meeting agenda and a link to the staff report is available at this link.
To participate via computer, phone, or in-person: CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS

Sign up to receive project updates:

*indicates required