What is SolarAPP+?
Contractors can use SolarAPP+ for faster rooftop solar permits. SolarAPP+ is a streamlined permitting process for solar contractors who have received their Approval ID from Solar APP+. Contractors submit a project to SolarAPP+ which uses software to automate the plan review process. Once a project is approved by SolarAPP+, contractors can submit the approval to the County’s ePermit system and instantly receive a permit. Installation practices, workmanship, and adherence to the approved design are verified in the inspection process.
Who can use SolarAPP+?
If you are a licensed B-General, C-10 Electrical, or C-46 Solar Photovoltaic contractor, you are eligible to use SolarAPP+. Contractors must register and become certified by SolarAPP+ before submitting applications for plan review.
What projects are eligible for SolarAPP+?
- For a full list of eligibility requirements, please click here.
- Only new rooftop solar photovoltaic on detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhomes and related accessory structures (e.g., a garage or ADU).
- Systems must be 10 kW in size or smaller and may include related energy storage systems and service panel upgrades.
- Properties with code cases, service requests (an unverified code complaint), voided permits, or a location in a flood zone* may NOT participate in this system.
*TIP: To find parcel and permit information, use the County GISWeb. Enter the parcel APN or address in the top left field and hit "enter." You can find flood information in the table at the bottom of the screen by clicking the "Hazards and Geophysical" tab. For permit data, click on the “Parcel Info” tab and then click on “Permit Data”. To determine whether your property has an open code case or service request, on the "Parcel Info" tab, click on "Planning Data." For additional information, you may contact the building counter staff Planning.BuildingInfo@santacruzcountyca.gov
How much does it cost?
SolarAPP+ charges a small fee, but Santa Cruz County costs are lower since the solar application is pre-approved.
What are the steps for using SolarAPP+?
1. Register for a SolarAPP+ account (scroll to the bottom) and complete the certification process. You will need to provide your contractor license information for each jurisdiction in you which you operate.
2. Submit your project to SolarAPP+ for approval. Once approved, you will receive your Approval Document and SolarAPP+ approval ID which you then submit to the County’s ePermit system.
3. Create a County ePermit account if you do not already have one.
4. In ePermit, submit SolarAPP+ Approval Document electronically, pay the required fee, and ePermit will issue your permit. For step-by-step guidance, please use the County of Santa Cruz SolarAPP+ Online Permitting (ePermit) Manual.
5. Once your project is installed, schedule your inspection.
Can I make changes to approved Plans?
Yes. Change orders must be submitted to SolarAPP+ for a new Approval ID and resubmitted through ePermit. Change orders have associated County permit fees, but SolarAPP+ allows 3 changes free.
Do you have questions or need help?
For SolarAPP+ Questions:
For County ePermit questions: